The Practice Support Services Department of Arnold & Porter has a Trademark Legal Assistant opening in the New York or Washington, DC office. Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, school transcript and a short writing sample for consideration.
The Trademark Legal Assistant provides support to the Trademark Prosecution practice group under the direct supervision of attorneys on various domestic and international client and firm matters.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Files and maintains trademarks with the US Patent and Trademark Office, and foreign trademark offices and agencies, including filing trademark applications, responses to office actions, statements of use, extensions of time, notices of allowance, changes of name and owner, post publication amendments, power of attorney forms, petitions, assignments, section 8 and 15 renewals and section 8 and 9 renewals.
- Files extensions of time for oppositions, notices of opposition, petitions to cancel, multiple types of motions with the ESTTA and follow all actions via TTABVUE.
- Generates and reviews global search reports using SAEGIS and Corsearch.
- Creates cost estimate spreadsheets for clients.
- Establishes and maintains trademark files and other document collections as needed.
- Drafts correspondence.
- Performs docket maintenance such as clearing deadlines and reminders.
- Communicates with clients and foreign agents.
- A minimum of a high school diploma, with a four-year college degree strongly preferred.
- Minimum of three years of domestic and international trademark prosecution legal assistant experience.
- Accounting, estate planning and tax preparation experience a plus.
- Experience in Microsoft Office Suite, electronic intellectual property resources, the USPTO website and IP docketing systems such as Inprotech.
- Superior organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and manage a large workload efficiently and effectively.
- Highly detail-oriented, including the ability to assess and respond to underlying detail issues and implications.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, a commitment to professionalism, integrity, and collegiality.
- Proven ability to multi-task and set priorities while meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional problem solving skills, critical thinking abilities and the ability to work well under pressure.
- Flexibility to work overtime as necessary, including nights and weekends and travel, as necessary.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race (inclusive of traits historically associated with race, including hair texture and protective hairstyles), ethnicity, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), age, marital or partnership status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family leave status, citizenship status, immigration status, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP endeavors to make www.arnoldporter.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Director of Support Staff Stephanie Denmark at +1 202.942.6068. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please click here. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click EEO is the LAW and the Supplement poster.
Arnold & Porter is an EO Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP uses E-Verify, which is a web-based system, to confirm the eligibility of our employees to work in the United States. As an E-Verify employer, we verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). We use E-Verify because we are a federal contractor containing the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) E-Verify clause. Please see the posters for details regarding E-Verify or contact Arnold & Porter’s Human Resources Department for more information. E-Verify Participation Poster and Right-to-work Poster.