The Finance and Accounting Department of Arnold & Porter has two openings for Client Account Specialists. These positions may be located in the Chicago, Houston or Washington, DC office or these positions may work 100% remote. The Client Account Specialist is responsible for managing the account set up, billing and collection arrangements, account and inventory management for assigned client portfolios. The Specialist develops strong collaborative relationships with the attorneys throughout the full cycle of client invoicing and collections. This position analyzes inventory statistics, prepares supporting documentation, and makes recommendations based on business strategies. The Specialist works closely with management on the training and mentoring of the billing team members.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Establishes, fosters, and maintains professional and collaborative relationships with attorneys, staff and clients to ensure compliance with both attorney and client specifications; manages all billing and collections processes from engagement to collections with tact, diplomacy, and effective negotiation skills.
- Primarily handles complex billing arrangements which may include client-level billing and collections.
- Trains and mentors billing specialists.
- Verifies rates with the rate analysts, reviews and implements the outside counsel guidelines, monitors fee caps, tier discounts and matter budgets; sets up and monitors alerts; communicates with the firm’s Billing & Intake Committee regarding discounts, write-downs, and write-offs.
- Manages the prebill to the final bill process; ensures that billing attorneys receive accurate prebills and that they return their prebills in a timely manner; submits finalized bills/eBills in appropriate template format, adhering to the attorney and client specifications; and confirms the final bills have been submitted to the client and are posted in the accounting system.
- Collaborates with the eBilling Coordinators for new client account set-ups with eBilling requirements; collaborates with Accounting Systems Administrator to update appropriate fields according to client billing guidelines; submits invoices electronically, taking accountability for successful submission and troubleshooting issues; and proactively follows-up regarding acceptance and timely payment of eBills.
- Communicates directly with clients as requested or as established, including following-up on collections and contacting clients as needed. Concisely communicates arrangements with attorneys and clients on their matters; provides clients with requested information on any special billing and or collection arrangements. Responds to all inquiries relating to same.
- Responds to inquiries relating to accruals, audits and payment reports; recommends solutions based on billing trends relating to realization; and prepares ad hoc reports upon request.
- Prepares effective monthly billing and collections forecasts for assigned portfolio(s). Maintains updated pre-bill status report and collection projection tools; monitors billing and collection numbers daily.
- Monitors the unapplied cash report and offers resolution when applicable and assists Accounts Receivable with accurate payment applications. Keeps partners updated on available unapplied and trust funds and applies funds when needed.
- Establishes effective back-up support processes (cross-training and knowledge transfer) to ensure seamless support for all portfolio matters.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business discipline preferred or equivalent experience.
- Prior law firm billing experience required.
- Related experience performing complex accounting analysis utilizing advanced Excel and reporting skills.
- High level of business acumen and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to assess pertinent information and anticipate needs and outcomes.
- Ability to prepare accurate, highly detailed work product and prioritize and manage time effectively.
- Talent for delivering exceptional client service through teamwork and an ability to work independently.
- Ability to exchange information and to present ideas, report facts and other information clearly and concisely.
- Strong initiative to proactively increase value to the position.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Possess reliability, dependability and motivation.
- Excellent organization and communications skills, both oral and written.
- Flexibility to work additional hours as needed.
The anticipated base salary for this position is $68,000 to $85,000. The actual base salary offered will depend on a variety of factors, including without limitation, the qualifications of the individual applicant for the position, years of relevant experience, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held, and if applicable, the location in which the applicant lives and/or from which they will be performing the job.
The firm may provide a discretionary bonus annually.
For benefits information, please click here. https://www.arnoldporter.com/en/careers/professional-staff/benefits
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race (inclusive of traits historically associated with race, including hair texture and protective hairstyles), ethnicity, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), age, marital or partnership status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family leave status, citizenship status, immigration status, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP endeavors to make www.arnoldporter.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Director of Support Staff Stephanie Denmark at +1 202.942.6068. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please click here. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click EEO is the LAW and the Supplement poster..
Arnold & Porter is an EO Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP uses E-Verify, which is a web-based system, to confirm the eligibility of our employees to work in the United States. As an E-Verify employer, we verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). We use E-Verify because we are a federal contractor containing the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) E-Verify clause. Please see the posters for details regarding E-Verify or contact Arnold & Porter’s Human Resources Department for more information. E-Verify Participation Poster and Right-to-work Poster.