The Practice Support Services Department of Arnold & Porter has an opening for a Legal Assistant Supervisor in the Washington, DC office. The Legal Assistant Supervisor provides day-to-day supervision of the firmwide legal assistant (paralegal) population, including but not limited to work allocation, productivity and service delivery, hiring, training/professional development, and other personnel and administrative matters, in support of the Firm’s legal practice groups.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supervising project legal assistants, legal assistants, senior legal assistants and case managers across all domestic offices on a daily basis.
- Working closely with the Legal Assistant Manager, Manager of Practice Support Services, Director of Practice Support Services and office administrators on management issues regarding firmwide legal assistants.
- Monitoring and supervising work allocation, including directing requests for legal assistant services, matters and assignments as needed, to ensure effectiveness.
- Monitoring and reviewing departmental productivity and identifying new opportunities to expand legal assistant services across the firm.
- Reviewing billable hours posted by legal assistants; correcting narratives, as necessary.
- Supervising the professional development of legal assistant staff, including identifying new training opportunities, creating training materials and tracking professional development of individual legal assistants.
- Monitoring and reviewing work product to ensure adherence to departmental best practices.
- Providing work performance feedback to staff throughout the year and assisting with the coordination of performance evaluations.
- Approving legal assistant overtime and assisting with the management of daily timecards.
- Monitoring the work load of legal assistants to ensure that the work is evenly distributed for maximum efficiency and productivity.
- Assisting with legal assistant recruitment and exit processes, including reviewing resumes, interviewing prospective candidates, onboarding as well as conducting exit interviews.
- Conducting departmental meetings and delivering legal assistant department updates in weekly Practice Support meetings.
- Handling employee relationship issues and escalating, as appropriate.
- Handling a variety of administrative duties, including coordinating and interacting with other department management staff, preparing reports, coordinating staff meetings, overseeing the orientation process of new employees and contributing to orientation of new attorneys. Assisting with the maintenance of department electronic and physical files, including personnel files and contract personnel (non-employee workers).
- Interacting frequently with: practice group heads, partners and special counsel/associates at all levels; Corporate Practice Management team members; Practice Directors and managers.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of five years of prior law firm experience and a minimum of two years of prior supervisory experience.
- Proficient in a range of computer software including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) as well as proficient with document review and case management tools.
- Knowledge of professional development principles, legal billing processes and basic management and project management principles.
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate, in oral and written form, with people at all levels within the Firm.
- Ability to make sound decisions and demonstrate a high degree of trustworthiness in handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work in an environment with shifting priorities and deadlines.
- Exhibit superior attention to detail and pride in high quality deliverables.
- Must have the ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexibility to work additional hours as needed.
Arnold & Porter is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy and childbirth (including breastfeeding and related medical conditions), age, marital or partnership status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family leave status, citizenship status, immigration status, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations. Our Firm’s equal opportunity policy applies to all employment practices and terms and conditions, including, without limitation, recruitment, employment, assignment, training, compensation, benefits, promotions, disciplinary action and terminations. For purposes of the Firm’s Anti-discrimination, Anti-harassment and Affirmative Action Policies, the term “race” includes, without limitation, traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles, such as braids, locks, and twists.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP endeavors to make www.arnoldporter.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Director of Support Staff Stephanie Denmark at +1 202.942.6068. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please click here. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click EEO is the LAW and the Supplement poster..
Arnold & Porter is an EO Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP uses E-Verify, which is a web-based system, to confirm the eligibility of our employees to work in the United States. As an E-Verify employer, we verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). We use E-Verify because we are a federal contractor containing the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) E-Verify clause. Please see the posters for details regarding E-Verify or contact Arnold & Porter’s Human Resources Department for more information. E-Verify Participation Poster and Right-to-work Poster.